The Homeschooler's Retreat
CLOSED DOWN AND MOVED. SEE ANNOUNCMENT.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

CLOSED DOWN AND MOVED. SEE ANNOUNCMENT.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Denominations

+9
Joyfully
Pyro Maelstrom
ric
Texas Fan
Avrash
MAINE
FiddleRose
Yehoshua
Christian A.
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Denominations - Page 2 Empty Denominations

Post by Christian A. Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Post what denomination you are from here.

To get us started, I am Reformed Baptist. It's like Baptist...but REFORMED. Basically, we only sing hymns, the pastor preaches FROM THE WORD, and have monthly potlucks and studies. Small but sweet. 40 or so members with several visitors.
Christian A.
Christian A.
Amatuer

http://www.thevoiceofodyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Denominations - Page 2 Empty Re: Denominations

Post by Chill Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm Baptist.

Chill
Sight-seeing

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:30 pm

Dakota_Bud wrote:I guess I could be Called a Reformed Baptist. We only sing hymns, the pastor preaches FROM THE WORD, and have weekly potlucks and studies. BIG and Awesome. 100 or so members with several visitors.
If I might make a clarification, I think Reformed Baptists are known for their Sovereign Grace viewpoint, not necessarily their music standards.
For instance, John Piper's church would include some contemporary music and he's about as reformed baptist as it gets.

Most churches in the Fundamentalist movement also don't use contemporary music.
I personally am not one who likes contemporary music, because I find it tends to lead away from worship and toward entertainment...but It's not really a dogmatic thing and definitely not the test of fellowship.

Anyways, I guess I should let y'all know where I stand: I was raised fundamentalist, my parents are fundamentalist, I still go to a fundamentalist church...and on doctrine I agree with the fundamentalists about 85% of the time.

But in the past year or two, As I've studied the Bible more, I've come to the conclusion that the Sovereign Grace-Reformed view is the biblical way to look at scripture.

And If anyone thinks I'm crazy...well, I'd be happy to discuss Sovereignty of God, Depravity of Man, Effective Atonement...etc with you and show you from scripture why I've come to that conclusion.

Avrash wrote:What Ricky had said is definitely how Christians view things. Basically, I said that it's Christian, and I don't quite 'approve,' but my religion IS different, so...
Well, the dispensationalists teach that me and you are a desperate people, but as far as scripture says...The True believers in Christ, weather Jew or Gentile, are one! (Ephesians 2:14) (Romans 11)

Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Yehoshua Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:41 am

Could you clarify about the Sovereign Grace Reformed view?
Yehoshua
Yehoshua
Prinicipal

http://www.theaiofanslife.viviti.com

Back to top Go down

Denominations - Page 2 Empty I'd be happy to share that with you!

Post by Andy Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Yehoshua wrote:Could you clarify about the Sovereign Grace Reformed view?
I'd be happy to!
(I'll also include a little bit of the scriptural support.)

We believe that because of Adam's Fall, every person born into the human race is born sinful, and loves sin so much that the things of God have no appeal.
In short, mankind is a total slave to sin with no natural hope of salvation. (Isaiah 64:6-7, Jeremiah 17:9, Psalm 10:4, Romans 3:10, Psalm 53:1-4, 1 Corinthians 2:14)

We also believe that God has an elect, a chosen people, whom he has redeemed for his glory.
((Now let me make a clarification, those who are not elect are not "predestined" for hell...because of their sinful nature they Choose to go there.))
Scriptural Support for this would be: Romans 9:8-29 (If you don't have time to look up the others look up the Romans 9 passage) Romans 11:5-8, Ephesians 1:5-12, 1 Thessalonians 1:4, 1 Peter 1:2

Now, There's a bit of difference among people as far as the atonement, some say that Christ died only for the elect, But I think the clearest and most biblical view is that Christ died for the sins of all mankind, with a special intent for the elect.
In short, Christ purchased the elect while providing an opportunity for all, making the gospel call a legitimate offer.
But this I can say with biblical certainty, Christ had a special intent for his elect. (1 John 4:10, Hebrews 9:13-15, Romans 8:32, John 10:15-16, Ephesians 2:13, Isaiah 53:10-11)

We also believe that God "quickens" his elect.
He makes them alive and gives them a new heart, a hatred for sin and a love for him.
Because of this change of heart, they will believe.
God gives repentance and faith to his elect. (Romans 8:29-30, Ephesians 2:1-10, John 6:37, Acts 11:18, Psalm 110:3, 1 Corinthians 15:10, Philippians 2:13, Acts 13:48)

We also believe that you cannot lose your salvation, and all who are truly saved will persevere. (Romans 6:1-4, Ephesians 1:11-14, Philippians 1:6, Colossians 3:1-4, 1 Thessalonians 5:23, 2 Thessalonians 3:3-5, 2 Timothy 1:12, Ephesians 4:30, Hebrews 3:14, 2 Timothy 4:18)

I guess you could sum up what we believe in one verse, John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

I know a lot of this probably sounds new to you, but it seems to be the most biblical.
Here's what I recommend, sit down sometime this week and look through the verses I've mentioned, look at them in their contexts, prayerfully consider the scriptures.
Anyways, sorry for such a long post.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Yehoshua Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:40 pm

I agree with most of what you said. Smile
Yehoshua
Yehoshua
Prinicipal

http://www.theaiofanslife.viviti.com

Back to top Go down

Denominations - Page 2 Empty A special intent for the elect? Yes!

Post by Andy Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:59 am

Yehoshua wrote:I agree with most of what you said. Smile
One more thing in regards to the intent of the Atonement...
1 Timothy 4:10
For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Helovesus Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:07 pm

I'm/I go to a christian missionary allience church
Helovesus
Helovesus
He knows his way around here.

http://teenagechristians.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post by ric Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:46 am

Andy wrote:Well, the dispensationalists teach that me and you are a desperate people, but as far as scripture says...The True believers in Christ, weather Jew or Gentile, are one! (Ephesians 2:14) (Romans 11)
I totally agree with that.
ric
ric
Scratching furiously

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum