The Homeschooler's Retreat
CLOSED DOWN AND MOVED. SEE ANNOUNCMENT.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

CLOSED DOWN AND MOVED. SEE ANNOUNCMENT.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

harry potter

+4
Chill
Pyro Maelstrom
Shennifer
FiddleRose
8 posters

Go down

harry potter Empty harry potter

Post by Guest Wed May 26, 2010 12:00 pm

debate on harry potter the witch or not

Back to top Go down

harry potter Empty Re: harry potter

Post by FiddleRose Wed May 26, 2010 12:07 pm

I don't know much about Harry Potter. From what I have heard, it is bad.
FiddleRose
FiddleRose
A graceful beauty

http://www.fictionpress.com/~brokenbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shennifer Wed May 26, 2010 12:17 pm

I've read all the Harry Potter books, and thought they were well written and excellent story telling. I find it ironic that people will read Lord of the Rings, and the Chronicles of Narnia, and not Harry Potter, because Harry Potter, like the ones mentioned before it, is a FANTASY story.With little or no bearing on reality. Yes, I know there are people who actually practice magic and the occult, but I don't think Harry Potter reflects that. And incidentally, the whole crystal ball, palm reading, etc etc, is looked down upon in the Harry Potter books; yes, some characters do that but like I said, most of the magic that book is purely fantasy magic, not unlike that of Narnia or Lord of the Rings.
Shennifer
Shennifer
Average Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro Maelstrom Wed May 26, 2010 12:20 pm

Most respectfully, to those who appreciate the book and enjoy it, in my opinion: Harry Potter books makes good kindling for a bonfire.
Pyro Maelstrom
Pyro Maelstrom
Partying!

Location : I'm a city kid, born and raised, especially when on an elevator.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shennifer Wed May 26, 2010 12:29 pm

you're entitled to your opinion; thanks for giving it respectfully.
Shennifer
Shennifer
Average Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Chill Thu May 27, 2010 1:11 pm

I've never read the books, or seen the movies. And I don't plan to.
Chill
Chill
Sight-seeing

Back to top Go down

Post by ric Thu May 27, 2010 1:47 pm

Shennifer wrote:I've read all the Harry Potter books, and thought they were well written and excellent story telling. I find it ironic that people will read Lord of the Rings, and the Chronicles of Narnia, and not Harry Potter, because Harry Potter, like the ones mentioned before it, is a FANTASY story.With little or no bearing on reality. Yes, I know there are people who actually practice magic and the occult, but I don't think Harry Potter reflects that. And incidentally, the whole crystal ball, palm reading, etc etc, is looked down upon in the Harry Potter books; yes, some characters do that but like I said, most of the magic that book is purely fantasy magic, not unlike that of Narnia or Lord of the Rings.

There is a big difference than Chronicle of Narnia or LOTR and Harry Potter. Let me quote Plugged In to explain this further:

"But even if Harry Potter's magic isn't of the occult, it still carries with it serious dangers. First, Rowling's stories—unlike Lewis' or Tolkien's—are neither a Christian allegory, nor do they subscribe to a consistent Christian worldview. And second, we live in a culture that glorifies and promotes witchcraft and the occult. No matter what the essence of Harry’s magic, the effect of it is undoubtedly to raise curiosity about magic and wizardry. And any curiosity raised on this front presents a danger that the world will satisfy it with falsehood before the church or the family can satisfy it with truth."
ric
ric
Scratching furiously

Back to top Go down

Post by Shennifer Thu May 27, 2010 2:36 pm

I agree that the Harry Potter books CAN raise curiosity about witchcraft and wizardry; however, I think that with mature Christians it's okay to read them, because they know it's not real, and also that God is more powerful then witchcraft. And I want to point out the fact that why is it okay if kids want to be superheroes, with superpowers, and not okay to read Harry Potter? Yes, I know that one promotes more sci fi action, and the other magic and magical abilities. Granted, I don't like the use of witch or wizard....but at the same time, I know it's a fantasy and I'm certainly not going to dabble in witchcraft or the occult. But still, why is it okay for Narnia to use the word 'Magic' and it's not okay for Harry Potter to use the word "Witchcraft"? they mean essentially the same thing.
Anyway, I'm not trying to argue, just discuss.
And no, HP wasn't written by a Christian, nor is a Christian allegory; however, there is still a good vs. evil theme; true, both sides use magic, and that's questionable, but I like the story, and the whimsical, imaginative elements, as well as the characters, more than the use or mention of magic or witchcraft.
Lastly, the kids in HP are BORN with magical abilites; they don't learn them by practicing the occult. But that's a whole other topic that I'm not knowledgeable enough to debate about.

What I think the church should try harder to teach and help others believe in, is in the supernatural power of God, and how He is bigger and more powerful and more awesome than anything on earth.

That's my opinion, and my thoughts on this subject.

Thank you Smile
Shennifer
Shennifer
Average Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 29, 2010 2:46 pm

One girl recruited Christian from a church to witchcraft. And harry potter has reincarnation like his father. The sacrifice his mother did in the beginning is is another copy of what Jesus did on the cross for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by ric Sat May 29, 2010 7:22 pm

cal gordon wrote:One girl recruited Christian from a church to witchcraft.
I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying. Question
ric
ric
Scratching furiously

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro Maelstrom Sat May 29, 2010 7:37 pm

I can see what Shennifer is saying, but I still say that Harry Potter anything makes good kindling, no matter what the words say. Smile
Pyro Maelstrom
Pyro Maelstrom
Partying!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shennifer Sat May 29, 2010 7:39 pm

ricroc wrote:
that makes two of us....
Shennifer
Shennifer
Average Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Yehoshua Sun May 30, 2010 12:02 pm

Shennifer wrote:
ricroc wrote:
that makes two of us....

He means that there was this girl who was into witchcraft, atteneded a church, and got kids that read Harry Potter bit by bit out of the church and into withcraft.
Yehoshua
Yehoshua
Prinicipal

http://www.theaiofanslife.viviti.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Avrash Mon May 31, 2010 1:31 pm

Pyro Maelstrom wrote:I can see what Shennifer is saying, but I still say that Harry Potter anything makes good kindling, no matter what the words say. Smile

I'd hafta agree with him. I'm not allowed to read it, and wouldn't want to read it or see it at all. Narnia and LOTR are also pretty looked down upon in my family. I remember one girl(her name was also Heather) telling me that they had bought LOTR. When they had finished watching it, her Dad gave her brother, TJ, permission to destroy it. Which he gladly did with a sledge hammer. But all of you are completely entitled to your own likes and dislikes, as well as opinions.
Avrash
Avrash
Partying!

Back to top Go down

Post by Chill Mon May 31, 2010 7:21 pm

Chayah wrote:I'd hafta agree with him. I'm not allowed to read it, and wouldn't want to read it or see it at all. Narnia and LOTR are also pretty looked down upon in my family. I remember one girl(her name was also Heather) telling me that they had bought LOTR. When they had finished watching it, her Dad gave her brother, TJ, permission to destroy it. Which he gladly did with a sledge hammer. But all of you are completely entitled to your own likes and dislikes, as well as opinions.

Wow...that's harsh.
Chill
Chill
Sight-seeing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:47 am

lotr is another subject but i think it also is bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro Maelstrom Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:46 pm

You should know Cal that LotR was written by a Christian, who was also really good friends with C.S. Lewis. (Narnia, Out of the Silent Planet, and many others.)
Pyro Maelstrom
Pyro Maelstrom
Partying!

Back to top Go down

Post by Avrash Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:38 pm

Well, Narnia was written by a Christian too, but it does mean I like it, or think it's good. The thing with the lion was okay, him being like Y'shua, but still...And the half men, half horses?...
Avrash
Avrash
Partying!

Back to top Go down

Post by HippiePrincess Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:53 pm

I couldn't get through 1 chapter of the books, mostly because I didn't like the style of writing. I think if you can discern fact from fiction the movies are okay for older kids, there are issues with the movies, but they aren't evil.
HippiePrincess
HippiePrincess
He knows his way around here.

http://aioinsanity.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ric Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:33 pm

I totally agree. There is totally a stereotype of Christians thinking everything is evil, but really, I just don't really think Harry Potter is the best thing in the world, but it's definitely not evil.
ric
ric
Scratching furiously

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro Maelstrom Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:53 pm

I think it really depends on a person's frame of mind. While Harry Potter is a very creative and imaginative series of books (and movies if you want), the mystical aspects and ideas that make up the subject I think is what must be looked at the most. The Bible clearly defines what is profane, or in other words, what is witchcraft, such as fortune telling and supernatural powers not given by Him (YHVH or Jesus, which ever you prefer.) Because of my own beliefs and morals, I personally don't think that Harry Potter is "good", but rather a fantasy version of god as man. Or in Harry's case, god as boy. This may not be the best analogy, but its as close I can get while still speaking civilly.
Pyro Maelstrom
Pyro Maelstrom
Partying!

Back to top Go down

Post by Avrash Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:42 am

*smiles* No, I think you put it awesomely. I think you did alot better job than I could've. And you say you wish you could say things like I do... Very Happy
Avrash
Avrash
Partying!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:39 pm

lots of children after reading the book go online and find the real curses we have a movie just about harry potter and it gives the from 8 to 12 year old all wanting the same power harry potter has.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum